Welcome to the Year 2 page!
The teachers in Year 2 are Miss Riley and Mrs Howey. The Educational Teaching Assistants working in our classes are Mrs Norfolk, Mrs Dexter and Mrs Lundy. Mrs Wynne will also be working with us in Year 2 this year.
Year 2 is an exciting and challenging year. As the oldest children in Key Stage One, Year 2 act as role models for the younger children and set a good example both in work and play. The children have greater responsibility, more independence and participate in more class activities.
Year 2 really enjoyed their Great Fire of London workshop. Here are a few photos from the day.
In our maths lessons, we will be covering many different areas this half term such as:
- Interpreting and reading scales
- Measuring (capacity and mass)
- Column method for addition with carrying (regular revision) and subtraction with borrowing
- 3D shape - identifying shapes and describing their properties (vertices, edges, faces)
- Data handling (pictograms, bar charts, venn and carroll diagrams)
- Money - writing and reading amounts, conversion of pence to pounds, calculating change
- Lines of symmetry
- Position and direction (left, right, forwards, backwards)
- Solving two step problems
- Rounding to the nearest ten and nearest hundred
Links to fun Maths games which support these objectives are listed at the bottom of the page.
Our writing focus this half term will be narrative. We will look at more complex sentence structures and developing our use of punctuation. We will also improve our spelling skills and ensure we are applying the spellings which we know.
In reading we will continue to read a range of genres. We will focus on reading fluently, using expression and ensuring children have a range of strategies to decode any unknown words. We will also be developing our comprehension skills through weekly comprehension tasks.
Wherever possible, we aim to link reading and writing opportunities to our topic work.
Please find below some activities and games which link to our learning in class:
Save the whale – number bonds to 10
number bonds to 20
Pay for it – using coins to make amounts of money
Robin Hood doubles
Lifeguards (place value - partitioning in to tens and units)
Mission 21 - column method
Phonics and spelling games:
DJ Cow spelling patterns wordsearch: