Welcome to the Year 2 page!
Click below to see the Year 2 Newsletter for Autumn 1
The teachers in Year 2 are Miss Riley and Mrs Howey. The Educational Teaching Assistants working in our classes are Mrs Norfolk, Mrs Grayston, Mrs Macdonald and Mrs Blunden.
In Year 2, the children have a lot more responsibility and work more independently. As the oldest in KS1, they should set an example to the younger children.
Our email addresses:
This half term in writing we will look at closely at using adjectives and conjunctions. We will also improve our spelling skills and ensure we are applying the spellings which we know.
In reading we will continue to read a range of genres. We will focus on reading fluently, using expression and ensuring children have a range of strategies to decode any unknown words. We will also be developing our comprehension skills through weekly comprehension tasks.
Wherever possible, we aim to link reading and writing opportunities to our topic work.
In our maths lessons, we will be covering many different areas this half term such as:
- Interpreting and reading scales
- Measuring (capacity and mass)
- Column method for addition with carrying (regular revision) and subtraction with borrowing
- 3D shape - identifying shapes and describing their properties (vertices, edges, faces)
- Data handling (pictograms, bar charts, venn and carroll diagrams)
- Money - writing and reading amounts, conversion of pence to pounds, calculating change
- Lines of symmetry
- Position and direction (left, right, forwards, backwards)
- Solving two step problems
- Rounding to the nearest ten and nearest hundred
Links to fun Maths games which support these objectives are listed at the bottom of the page.
Please find our weekly Year 2 Learn Its and Spellings :
Parents evenings: Wednesday 24th October and Thursday 25th October
w/c 15th October 2018
Learn Its: 10 times table fact families
Test Date: Monday 22nd October
Test Date: Monday 5th November
Common exception words and homophones
Please find below the Welcome Meeting Slides for those who could not attend:
Please find below some activities and games which link to our learning in class:
Save the whale – number bonds to 10
number bonds to 20
Pay for it – using coins to make amounts of money
Robin Hood doubles
Lifeguards (place value - partitioning in to tens and units)
Mission 21 - column method
Phonics and spelling games:
DJ Cow spelling patterns wordsearch: